Thursday, March 6, 2008

MEANING

WRITE THE CLOSEST MEANING
1. He chose to study computer course.
A. Opted
2. There is a lot of noise all around.
A. Very much
3. He gave explanation to his boss why he was late.
A. Superior
4. The boss pulled him up for his behavior.
A. Reprimanded him
5. A student is expected to have comprehension.
A. Power to understand
6. He has resolved to take up his studies again.
A. Determined
7. Charity is a great virtue.
A. Benevolence
8. The boy is expelled from school.
A. Dropped from roles
9. Loving one’s parents is a sacred duty.
A. Pious
10. Every one of us has his own hers.
A. Idealman
11. He is a bright boy.
A. Intelligent
12. You are a welcome guest at my home.
A. Who is warmly received
13. Imitation is the district mark of an age.
A. Special
14. He gave his son in adoption to his own brother.
A. Legally making over
15. I went to the movies yesterday.
A. Pictures
16. I wish to remind you of your duties.
A. Emphasis again
17. He cautioned me of the pit-falls.
A. Possible dangers
18. It rained cats and dogs yesterday.
A. Heavy down-pour
19. He is my fast friend.
A. Thick
20. Columbus discovered America .
A. To come upon for the first time.
21. Electricity is the greatest modern amenity.
A. Convenience
22. Einstein is giant among the modern scientists.
A. Very great
23. The train departs at 7 am .
A. Starts
24. Chiranjeevi is a popular hero.
A. Liked by many
25. Sir C.V.Raman was an eminent Indian scientist.
A. Famous
26. The old man is exhausted after the work.
A. All energy totally used up
27. The problem is very complex.
A. Difficult to deal
28. But its solution is very simple.
A. Quite easy
29. The train arrives at Guntur at 12 noon .
A. Comes to
30. Primitive men did not know how to cook?
A. Earliest
31. He answered my question in the affirmative.
A. Saying yes
32. Dinosaurs are an extinct species.
A. Now no longer existing.
33. Though 80 years old, he enjoys sound health.
A. Good
34. The baby is sound asleep, donot make noise.
A. Deep
35. He is a great genious.
A. One of great capacity and skill
36. The journey I made was very awful.
A. Extremely unpleasant and uncomfortable
37. He undertook a voyage round the globe singly.
A. Going in a ship
38. The sight of the Taj Mahal by fullmoon light is awesome
A. inspiring
39. Cow dung can be used as manure.
A. Fertilizer
40. I retired from service year before last.
A. The year before last year

Fill in the blanks
1. My father arrived last night.
2. I saw a movie ten days ago.
3. David goes to church regularly.
4. Sagar tastes sweet
5. You have only one paper to answer in the test.
6. I have been living in Guntur for the past ten years.
7. I shall inform you when she returns.
8. The teacher will punish you if you come late to the class.
9. Wait till I finish my home work.
10. How long have you been wearing glasses?
11. The mother loves her children.
12. He enjoys reading detective stories.
13. The teacher made the boys write a composition.
14. They have discussed the matter thoroughly.
15. He married his class-mate.
16. He has ordered four copies of the book.
17. They are waiting for the bus.
18. I am looking forward to seeing my sister after long time.
19. I am considering buying a car.
20. He is suffering from headache.
21. She is angry with me.
22. The classes will begin on September 5th.
23. I have known her for five years now.
24. we listened to his speech over radio.
25. He shot the deer with an arrow.
26. She prefers coffee to tea.
27. We congratulated her on her winning the first prize.
28. He died of cancer.
29. Please write in black or blue ink.
30. He is good at mathematics.
31. I cycled to the station to meet my friend.
32. I waited for my friend till the train left.
33. The spectacles are very expensive.
34. The police are questioning the neighbors about the thief.
35. My friend suggested me to see a doctor.
36. I have paid one rupee and a half for this.
37. I told him that I cannot attend the meeting.
38. One should not waste one’s time.
39. When have you taken the book from the library.
40. The door-bell has been ringing for the last ten minutes.
41. It is time we started.
42. He was so tired that he lay on the bed.
43. Walking on the road a cyclist dashed against me.
A. As I was walking on the road a cyclist dashed me.
44. She gets up early in the morning.
45. She has beautiful furniture in her house.
46. He lay in bed till ten in the morning.
47. Has the postman arrived yet.
48. I wish I were a millionaire.
49. He has a large family.
50. Padma is Older than parvati.
51. He presided over a meeting yesterday.
52. He is addicted to drink.
53. Gopal is very clever but his brother is very dull.
54. I gave him all the help he needed yet he is not satisfied.
55. He passed not only in Telugu but also English.
56. Neither he nor his brother came to meet me.
57. Even though the thief ran fast, he was caught.
58. He gave up advising others.
59. He cannot help laughing.
60. One must not be afraid to speak the truth.
61. How dare you enter my room?
62. Rama is as great as Shiva.
63. He has hung a picture on the wall.
64. The prisoner was hanged.
65. Wisdom is better than riches.
66. He is taller than she.
67. The climate of Madras is better than that of Delhi .
68. I met an old gentleman whom my father knew.
69. In the hotel I could find no room in which I could stay.
70. Everyone thinks he has the right to strike.
71. Will you please open the door.
72. He is swooned, and is being given the first aid.
73. He has had a heart attack and is now all right.
74. I have been reading a novel for ten days and am yet to finish it.
75. The train departed the station before I reached.

No comments: